Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Bridge Kids 2009



This summer has been really interesting as a teaching artist/ program director in Miami, Fl. I worked the entire summer volunteering with the Bridge kids. In my flowery world I thought that the entire summer would be used for working with the kids to bring awareness to ocean conservation, I had the entire program
mapped out from start to finish everything finely tuned –and put together.

Though the summer has been filled with great moments there have been some minor downers as well things I have to be strong about. I am very fortunate to have dedicated volunteers with good hearts- all who wanted to show the kids their potential in life and become involve to help the kids succeed in the program and in the future. I day dream always about this that they leave the program feeling like they are empowered to make a difference not only in their lives; no matter what their situation may be, but also in society. It’s just another way to harvest change among our younger generations.
Like everything else in life there were some challenges, but I’m not going to get in to it here when it comes down to it this story isn’t a sad one. It’s a story of will, triumph and change.

The kids to me are like a beautifully woven sweater- something that is so delicate one wrong move and it can get snagged or maybe ripped- you’re scared to wear too much because you don’t want anything to happen to it- you want it to last. So you guard it, you store it away; often you look at it hoping nothing ever damages it and if it does then it will be easy to fix– you bring out to wear only on special occasions because you know it’s special and there is only one like it. Then one day you realize you borrowed it from a friend and you have to return it.

I’m probably not making sense but that’s what these kids are to me they are all beautifully made and pure love in my eyes. I want them to stay that way forever.
These teens are special, unique, and gifted and other people need to know that we have a generation of children that need us more than ever.

I fell in love-

Tree

















No comments:

Find Tree on Instagram

Find Tree on Instagram
Tree Rivera Make Art Matter
Powered By Blogger

Translate